May 11, 2008

A Precious Mother's Day!

I never in a million years would have thought that I would be celebrating Mother's Day with two precious girls! I can remember in the summer of 2001 being told that we would not be able to have children. I can recall sitting on the floor in my pink "princess" pajamas and crying. I remember Craig saying "We will get through this." But, in my hardness and bitterness, I did not want to believe him. I struggled with the words but assured him that I would be okay. After years of trying to bear a child, I had no clue the joy that these two little ones 7 years later would bring to my life!

In 2004, our lives changed with the adoption of Molly from Ukraine. Before adopting her, to be honest, I had no idea where Ukraine was on a world map! I knew it was close to Russia and that is about it. Now, Ukraine is very special and dear to my heart and I left a piece of me there when we departed on September 11, 2004. Molly is one special child and she is identical to me, drama and all! We are peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly! We are the best of friends and I love being her Mommy!!!!

Then, came Madeline. I remember saying over and over to numerous people - "I don't have to have a newborn, I am really done with diapers, formula, potty training, and such." Little did I know that God had something very different in mind for our lives. Little Madeline was due today - MOTHER'S DAY! But, she chose to come 5 weeks early and surprise us ALL!!! Even though things are not set in stone and the adoption is not final, she is mine. I love her as if I birthed her. I know what she likes and what she doesn't like. I know how she wants to be held and that she would prefer her feet and arms out rather than covered. I know that she is hot natured and that she loves to sit up versus being on her back. I know that she prefers a certain bottle over another and she LOVES her big sister. There is a part of me that wants to remain guarded until all is signed and final. But, no matter what happens, she will always be my daughter.

A wise woman (Jane Mills) once told me that "mother" is a verb not a noun. That was such a comforting thought. Adoption is so wonderful! Even though these girls were not conceived in my tummy, they were conceived in my heart. I am forever grateful to their "Life Mommies!" They chose to give life to these girls so that I could love and care for them as if I gave birth to them myself. I am thankful for the lives that I hold so dear to my heart - Molly and Madeline - I will ALWAYS LOVE BOTH OF YOU!!!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you. Some of you do not have children of your own but you are still mothers in some way. There are so many children out there that need women to care and love them in a motherly way. May you be encouraged to seek those out that need that type of love this Mother's Day! Maybe it is someone that has lost their mother. Maybe it is someone that has an absent mother due to circumstances beyond their control. Or, maybe it is someone that needs a Godly influence in their lives because they did not grow up in a Christian home. Whatever the situation, consider being a mother in some way.

On a different note, I am headed to a very special celebration of a mother that lost her life to cancer on Thursday. What a day to celebrate her life and the impact that she has made on her children as well as so many of us that knew her. Please keep the Morris and Ganaway families in your prayers as they say goodbye to their precious wife, mother, daughter and friend, Cherie Morris.

May God bless all of you!