February 6, 2013

A Solution to our Spelling Struggles

I have been searching online for quite a few weeks on solutions for our spelling challenges.  Both of my older girls struggle with spelling and the spelling nazi inside of me is really trying to be sympathetic and realize, as my friend Shelly once said, "Lack of spelling skills does not mean a lack of intelligence." I need those friends in my life :)

I received an email from Time4Learning (our current curriculum choice for Molly) last week about a new website www.spellingcity.com and also a free app they offer for the iPhone, iPod and iPad.  I was so excited and immediately downloaded the app for the girls to use.  Molly instantly fell in love with it and continues to show me all the bells and whistles of the app.  I love when my girls get excited about learning!  I am very interested and anxious to start using the website for our spelling and vocabulary needs.  I honestly believe this may be the perfect solution for all three of my girls in the world of Spelling!

Just a few of the GREAT features of this website!
  • Over 42,000 spelling words with customizable sentences and definitions
  • A REAL person who says each word and sentence
  • Free home pages for teachers and parents to save lists
  • Teacher training videos
  • Free printable handwriting worksheets
  • Free teaching resources with lists and lesson plans
  • Twenty-five games to play online or to print such as:
    Alphabetical Order, Unscramble, Parts of Speech, HangMouse, Crossword Puzzle, WordSearch, and Vocabulary Test.
  • A free forum and newsletters
I am really looking forward to this being a part of our school day and I highly approve of the girls using this app on the iPad and iPod!  It offers a lot of fun games while learning - what more could you ask for in an app?


Blessings,
Becca


Disclosure:
I've been given a Premium Membership to VocabularySpellingCity.com for a candid, personal, online review.
VocabularySpellingCity helps students study word lists using 25 different learning activities such as Unscramble, Hangman, WordFind, and Crossword Puzzle. Parents can create their own spelling lists, find published lists already available on the site, or use any of dozens of free teaching resources on topics such as Multiple Meaning Words and Possessive Nouns . Be sure to come back in three weeks to read about my experience.
There might be more free memberships available for bloggers. If you're interested, find out how you can review VocabularySpellingCity.com.