September 28, 2012

Ms Mary




Mary and Madeline Rolling Silverware

There are people that come into your life and for whatever reason, make a lasting impression.  In the summer of 2009, we moved to Key Largo for just a short time.  During that time, we became very familiar with Doc's Diner and their wonderful staff.  It would be "Doc" that would eventually help us to return to the Keys in 2011.  In January 2011, we made the long move to Florida and we began a family tradition.  We would wake up on Saturday mornings and go eat our breakfast at Doc's.  It was just something we did as a family and we enjoyed the food, the atmosphere but most importantly - the people.  Gina is Doc's daughter and manages the restaurant. She has since become a dear friend to us.  Patty became our favorite waitress ever and one we looked forward to seeing every week.  She knew what we wanted to drink before we walked into the door.  She was always witty and was quick to come back with a sarcastic but funny comment.  We also fell in love with Vicky, Anna and Joel too!  But, then there was Mary!  She was the first person that greeted us when we walked in the place.  She was usually behind the register and making sure things ran smoothly.  She always made sure the waitresses were being taken care of but it was her goal to make sure the customers were served and enjoyed their experience. 

Doc's Diner has these fabulous bar stools that spin and it was like a ride at Disney World for my girls.  When Mary was not behind the register, she could be found on the left side of the diner, on one of those cool stools, rolling silverware.  For whatever reason, my girls was so interested in what Mary was doing and wanted to learn the trade.  Mary was so patient with them and taught them carefully how to make the perfect silverware roll.  She would also let them spin on the stools until they got dizzy while Mom was trying to make them stop.  She was such a fun person and gave the best hugs and kisses and always seem to have a special treat for them.  My girls absolutely LOVE Mary and miss her terribly.  The staff at Doc's became like family to us and we would hang out there not just on Saturdays but would find ourselves going in during the week just to see our friends. 

 On Tuesday afternoon, Mary collapsed at home.  No one could figure out what had happened but she was rushed to a nearby hospital.  Her daughter, Patty and I were in contact via text and they were running tests.  She was still unconscious and on a breathing machine so it was hard to determine right away the cause of the collapse.  Through a variety of tests, it was determined that Mary had suffered a heart attack and was without oxygen for 30 minutes.  The family was told it would take a miracle for her to live.  My girls and I immediately started praying and even Madeline said "Mom, don't cry, maybe Ms. Mary is just resting."  Molly was certain that God would perform a miracle and prayed accordingly.  Patty and I continued to communicate and I, too, was praying for a miracle.  I know that God can turn things around in an instant and I was begging Him to do so. 

But, late last night, Mary took her last breath.  She is no longer attached to tubes and breathing with the help of a machine.  She is gone.  The sting of pain is there in our home as we mourn this precious grandmother-like figure in our lives.  My girls are sad knowing that when we visit the Keys and Doc's Diner, we won't be seeing Ms Mary.  But, its been a great teachable  moment about death and why God chooses to take those away from us.  God is Sovereign and He chooses the breaths of His people.  We can not add or take away any days of our life.  He will take us home when He sees fit.  So, what it has done is make us re-evaluate our lives and how we choose to live the breaths that He has given us.  May this be a moment where my girls and myself will reflect on what we do with the time we are given and how we are glorifying God.  I pray that my girls will remember Ms Mary through their pain but only remember those Saturdays sitting next to her and rolling silverware.  I pray that they will remember her precious smile and sweet disposition and how much she loved them. 

Join me in praying for Mary's family and especially our sweet, favorite waitress, Patty.  I can't imagine losing my mom and I've don't even want to think about it!  But, it has made me evaluate my life and how I treat and honor my mother.  I pray and ask for the strength to be the daughter God has created me to be and also to be the Mom to my girls that Mary was to her children!

We love and miss you, Ms Mary!  You were a ray of sunshine to our family and you will be missed greatly!  Doc's will never be the same without you! 

Becca